Who would have thought that a game about a group of colored squares could be so impactful? Thomas Was Alone is a fantastic game that goes beyond its minimalistic appearance to deliver a meaningful story with positive messages.
When I first saw Thomas Was Alone, I was skeptical. I thought to myself, “How can a game with such basic graphics be any good?” But as soon as I started playing, I knew I was in for something special. The platforming is fun, and the different characters all have unique abilities that make the game more challenging and interesting. However, the real magic of Thomas Was Alone lies in its story.
The game tells the story of a group of artificial intelligences, represented by colored squares, as they work together to navigate through a series of puzzles. Throughout the game, players get to know the different characters and their personalities, which are brought to life through Danny Wallace’s excellent narration. But beyond the charming characters and witty dialogue, Thomas Was Alone is packed with positive messages that we can all learn from.
Here are some of the positive messaging themes found in Thomas Was Alone:
- Unity: The game’s primary message is about the power of unity. Each square has its own unique abilities, but they must work together to overcome the obstacles in their way. By working together, they can achieve more than they ever could alone. This message is particularly relevant in today’s society, where we often see people divided by politics, race, and other factors.
- Self-acceptance: Each character in Thomas Was Alone has their own insecurities and flaws, but they learn to accept themselves and their limitations. This message is especially important for young people who may struggle with self-doubt and anxiety.
- Empathy: As players progress through the game, they learn to empathize with the different characters and understand their motivations. This message of empathy and understanding is something that we could all use a little more of in our lives.
- Overcoming obstacles: The puzzles in Thomas Was Alone can be challenging, but the characters never give up. They persevere and find creative solutions to the problems they face. This message is a reminder that no matter how difficult things may seem, there is always a way forward.
- Friendship: The characters in Thomas Was Alone start out as strangers but become close friends as they work together to achieve their goals. This message of friendship and camaraderie is one that we can all appreciate and apply to our own lives.
At Sabr Path, we believe that games can be more than just entertainment. They can also be a tool for positive change. That’s why we take inspiration from games like Thomas Was Alone and strive to create games that have a positive message. If you enjoyed Thomas Was Alone, we encourage you to check out our upcoming game, Beware. Like Thomas Was Alone, Beware is a 2D platformer with a positive message. Add Beware to your Steam wishlist today and be the first to know when it’s released.